Presentations, websites and documents
should be targeted to your desired audience
Commercial information must be WRITTEN
- In the United States business is conducted via documented (written) content.
- Oral statements rarely have any value.
- Your success depends on how you present yourself in writing.
Readers of your messages may not know you
- In American firms, the decision to accept a proposal may depend on many opinions.
- Many people may be reading your presentations, proposals and websites.
- For some readers, all they know about you is what they have read.
- You must rely on your writings to properly convey your message.
- American executives receive lots of messages fighting for attention.
- You are one of many.
- You will have few chances to generate action from your readers.
- Your messages must be direct, to-the-point and properly targeted.
Mistakes that kill messages
- Content not targeted to your audience and/or not presented in a logical order.
- Not explaining the advantages and benefits of what you propose.
- Unnecessary or irrelevant information.
- Too much empasis on graphics (as opposed to content).
- Arguments based exclusively on your opinions (an not on facts).
- Foreign texts not properly translated.
- Units of measure that the reader does not use or know.
- Slang. idioms and abbreviations that Americans are not familiar with.
If your business planning includes dealing with Americans, proper communication is one of the best investments available, especially during early contacts.
- Include terms used in the specific field of the target audience.
- Adjust colloquial figures of speech to U.S. habits.
- Convert units to the ones used by the U.S. target audience.
- Add graphs or tables to properly explain quantitative or comparative data.
- Explain references, symbols and abbreviations that are only pertinent to Brazil.
- Email messages exist to (a) ask a question, (b) request some action or (c) to inform.
Make sure you let the reader know which one it is.
- If forwarding, remove prior unnecessary content.
- Be direct – eliminate every word that does not help your message.
- Use bullet points.
- Use bullet points.
- Use bullet points (Alt + 0149).
- Format: we suggest plain text as opposed to html.
- Signature: simple, just your name, company, phone and email address.
- Initial conversations are usually at no cost.
- Email: email@example.com.
- Phone and Whatsapp: +1-305-904-6643.
- We use Zoom, Google, Teams, Skype and other communication tools.
Welcome to the US